Bihar Economic Survey (Ch-5)
👉🏻Hindi Translation tool at the bottom of the page.
👉🏻Also Read|Bihar Economic Survey (Ch-4)
CHAPTER – V
- Today, India is one of the youngest nations in the world with more than 62 percent of its population in the working age group (15-59 years), and more than 54 percent of its total population below 25 years of age.
- The National Policy for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship 2015 supersedes the earlier policy of 2009.
- The primary objective of this new policy is to meet the challenge of skilling at a scale which includes — speed, standard and sustainability.
- Bihar is the third largest state by population (10.41 crore as per 2011 Census).
- About 58 percent of the population is below the age of 25, the highest in India in this age group.
- The literacy rate in Bihar is 63.8 percent, with male literacy at 73.4 percent and female literacy at 53.3 percent.
- According to the 2011 Census, about 31 percent of total population of Bihar is in the age group of less than 15 years and 61 percent of them falls in the working age group of 15-59 years.
- In Bihar, as per the 2011 Census, the share of workers in total working age population was around 33 percent.
- The proportion of female workers was substantially lower at around 19 percent, compared to 46 percent for men.
- It is also observed that about 53 percent of the workers were agricultural labourers and about 74 percent of the workers in Bihar are engaged exclusively in agriculture.
Bihar Skill Development Mission (BSDM)
- The BSDM was constituted in 2010.
- Bihar Skill Development Mission (BSDM) is a Society registered on June 23, 2010 under the Societies Registration Act 1860.
- The specific objectives of BSDM are as follows :
(a) To facilitate generation of adequate employment opportunities through a policy framework.
(b) To encourage and facilitate skill training for youth of Bihar.
(c) To monitor generation of employment in different sectors.
(d) To facilitate launching of training programmes for both uneducated and educated
unemployed persons for upgradation of their skills.
(e) To formulate area and trade-specific strategies for maximizing employment opportunities on a sustainable basis in the state supported by the private sector.
(f) To facilitate a coordinated approach in achieving the above objectives for maximizing the benefits over time and space and in reaching to the neediest sections of the population.
Skill Development Programmes by BSDM
Kushal Yuva Program (KYP)
- The Kushal Yuva Program (KYP) is part of one of the ‘Saat Nishchay’ (seven resolves) of the state government — ‘Aarthik Hal, Yuvaon ko Bal’.
- This programme is targeted at all aspirants in the age group of 15-28 years, with age limit relaxed for SC/ST (33 years), OBC (31 years), Persons with disability (33 years).
- The educational requirement is at least 10th Class pass.
- The course curriculum for KYP includes three components — Life Skills, Communication Skills (English and Hindi) and Basic Computer Literacy.
- The Domain Skilling is the training imparted to develop skill for the fresh workforce entrants without any prior skill development experience through domain-specific and demand-led skill training.
- All the schemes following BSDM guidelines will have to ensure a minimum of 50 percent placement, including self-employment.
Recruit-Train-Deploy (RTD) Scheme
- This scheme tries to address the issue of relevance of the existing skill development programmes from the perspective of the industries.
- The RTD model has been initiated by BSDM as an exception to cater to the requirements of industry and assist the youth of Bihar to get employment.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) with Bridge Course
- Through the RPL scheme, the skills and knowledge gained by individuals outside the formal learning processes are assessed and granted formal recognition.
- The RPL certification would be equivalent to any skill development certification.
Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY)
- Skill Development Centres (SDC) will implement Centrally Sponsored and State Managed (CSSM) component of PMKVY 2.0 for specified job roles in Bihar.
Bihar State – Certificate in Financial Accounting – Goods and Service Tax Training (BS-CFA- GST Training)
- To create a workforce who understand how Goods and Service Tax (GST) is levied on the supply of goods and services and to help small and medium enterprises of Bihar for filing GST returns, BSDM is planning to start from March 2019, a 120 hour course to impart required skill training to the youths of Bihar.
👉🏻Also Read|Bihar Economic Survey (Ch-4)
👉🏻Also Read|Bihar Economic Survey 2018-19 (Summary)