Powers, Functions and Role of Governor in Bihar
Powers and function of Governor :
- Under Article 161 the Governor of a State shall have the power to grant pardons, reprieves, respites, or remissions of punishment or to suspend,remit or commute the sentence of any person convicted of any offence against any law relating to a matter to which the executive power of the State extends.
- Under Article 164, the Chief Minister shall be appointed by the Governor and the other Ministers shall be appointed by the Governor on the advice of the Chief Minister, and the Minister shall hold office during the pleasure of the Governor.
- Under Article 165, the Governor shall appoint a person who is qualified to be appointed a Judge of a High Court to be Advocate-General for the State.
- Nomination of persons having special knowledge or practical experience in the field of Literature, Science, Art, Co-operative Movement and Social Service, to the Legislative Council in accordance with the provisions of Article 171(3)(e) of the Constitution.
- Summon from time to time the House or each House of the Legislature of the State to meet at such time and place as deem fit as per Article 174(1) of the Constitution. Also Prorogue the House or either House or dissolve the Legislative Assembly as per Article 174(2) of the Constitution of India.
- As per the provisions of Article 175 of the Constitution of India address the Legislative Assembly or both the Houses of Legislature and may for that purpose require attendance of Members. Also send messages to the House/Houses of Legislature whether with respect to a Bill then pending in the Legislature or otherwise, and a House to which any message is so sent shall with all convenient dispatch consider any matter required by the message to be taken into consideration.
- Address the Joint Session at the commencement of the first session after each general election to the Legislative Assembly and at the commencement of the first session of each year as per Article 176 of the Constitution of India.
- Consideration of the Bills passed by both Houses of the Legislature, for assent as per Article 200.
- Ensuring presentation of the Statement of estimated receipts and expenditure of the State for every financial year (Annual Financial Statement) in both the Houses of Legislature as per article 202 of the Constitution.
- Ensuring presentation of Statement showing the estimated additional amount of expenditure of the State if any, before the Legislative Assembly as per Article 205 of the Constitution.
- Promulgation of Ordinance when the State Legislature is not in Session to meet the excegencies of administration.
- Appointment of Chairman and Members of Bihar Public Service Commission as per Article 316 of the Constitution.
- Sending periodical reports to the Government of India about the Affairs of the State.
- Considering and disposal of the appeals under Rule 57(5) of Civil Services (Classification, Control and Appeal) Rule 1930.
- Protocol concerning the visiting Heads of State, Foreign Diplomats/Emissaries and Constitutional Authorities like the President and the Prime Minister of India.
- Administering oath of office and secrecy to the constitutional and statutory authorities like the Chief Justice and Judges of the High Court of Bihar, Lokayukta, etc.
- Presides over Government and non-Governmental functions in the State, as the Constitutional head of the State.
- Governor is also Chancellor of the Universities in the State and presides over Convocation functions of the Universities. Also discharges duties and functions attached to the Chancellor of the Universities under the relevant Acts and Statutes of the Universities like appointment of Vice Chancellors and determining their terms and conditions of appointment; appointment of other statutory authorities of the University, Nomination of Members to the Syndicate and Senate under different categories, giving assent to the Statutes, Regulations and Ordinances proposed by the Universities, consideration and approval of Inter-University transfer of officers and teachers.
- As the Constitutional Head of the State, Citizens make representations / submit memorandum and petitions for consideration and favourable orders/directions to the concerned authorities.
Ex-Officio Roles of Governor, Bihar :
The Governor is the ex-officio President of the Indian Red Cross Society Bihar Branch, Bihar State Council for Child Welfare and also the Chairman of following organisations :
- Nava Nalanada Mahavihara, Society Nalanda.
- Khuda Bakhsh Oriental Public Library, Patna.
- Gandhi Sangrahalaya, Patna (Concept Committee).
- Bihar Sainik Kalyana Nideshalaya, Patna.
- Lady Stephenson Hall, Patna – trustee
- Bihar Relief Fund, Raj Bhavan, Patna.
- Sahityakar Kalakar Kalyan Kosh, Patna.