Launched in 2017 by the Ministry of Statistics and Programme
About the Periodic Labour Force Survey
- The Periodic Labour Force Survey would generate quarterly reports on the urban labour market situation and an annual report for rural India.
- The survey will supersede the earlier system where data was available only every five years.
- The survey would supply data for both the formal and informal sector.
- The data will be collected from both large and small enterprises and so that it is possible to measure informal sector activity as well.
- The Periodic Labour Force Survey will also incorporate a Computer Assisted Personal Interviewing (CAPI) method, with field operators using tablets to enter the data.
- Introduction of the CAPI method is expected to generate more accurate and timely data.
Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation
- The Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementationcame into existence as an Independent Ministry in 1999after the merger of the Department of Statistics and the Department of Programme Implementation.
- The Ministry has two wings, one relating to Statistics and the other Programme Implementation.
- The Statistics Wing is called the National Statistical Office (NSO).
- It consists of the Central Statistical Office (CSO), the Computer centreand the National Sample Survey Office (NSSO).